Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dedication

We slept really well in our wonderful Albergue of San José! I'm so glad we decided to stay there and not at the Municipal Albergue. But we were all a little tired, maybe even a bit more than that, and waking up was a chore for sure. We sat down to have breakfast together and we were all a bit sluggish. That didn't change when we headed out and it was obvious that we were not as motivated as we had been to get to Santiago. The journey was beautiful though with steep climbing, breathtaking views of valley's and the countryside and there are trees everywhere here...beautiful, tall, amazing trees.

Then we stopped for lunch and the day changed. Before lunch I felt as if I was done and I just wanted to take a taxi or a bus. I hoped that it was just a fleeting thought and feeling and I talked about it with the girls. We all realized that we were not as determined as we had been before. We had achieved our goal, we had reached Santiago. Now we were heading to Finisterra, the end of the world, and it seemed like it wasn't really a "must" for us even though we really wanted to get there. But after lunch the day changed and I guess our talk about it helped us figure out what was causing our lack of drive.

We talked about profound ideas and concepts and also just joked around. After lunch the walk truly became a good Camino walk! Molly got some phone calls and we walked through the countryside which reeked of manure. After talking about everything and nothing we got to talking about movies and episodes. My vast knowledge and passion for the subject really got Molly to push me regarding why I wasn't pursuing a career in the field. I realized that it was really because of the dedication needed to get anywhere in that crazy business.

Dedication! We had finally reached the true problem regarding my search for a profession, my search here on the Camino to decide what I should do with my life. I realized that I hadn't just avoided dedication when it comes to cinematography but when it comes to anything in life; clubs, sports, work, education, just my whole life. I had avoided committing to anything that would lead to me missing out on something else. I saw that I valued freedom of choice at all moments more than what dedication could give me. That meant that I would be a jack of all trades and master of none. My constant need for not being limited by anything was really holding me back. This massive revelation, a true Camino revelation, happened after my original Camino was over. It happened in overtime, a time when so many amazing things tend to happen! My failure to dedicate myself was keeping me from making a true difference in the world. The blinders were off my eyes...what will I do now that I can see?

We walked 36 km's today, from Negreira to Olveiroa, and it was a really nice walk. About 3 km's away from Olveiroa there was a huge beautiful lake that perfected the scenery for the day. The trees are just amazing here and we're constantly climbing to the top of wonderful hills where we have a great overview of the landscape all around!

When we got to Olveiroa both the Albergue's were full. There was a small room available in the Pension next by the private Albergue. The room cost 45 euro's for the 3 of us, 15 a piece, and they would add a bed for me. It was a big bed for the girls and a really nice bed for me. We decided to take it and we have a shower for ourselves with shampoo and conditioner and again we have towels. It's a real luxury! None of us snore and it'll be amazing to sleep just the 3 of us together tonight and having a private bathroom all for us. I'm looking forward to the shower.

Psychoanalysis is really time consuming and costly. The Camino has resulted in today's revelation, perhaps a result that the psychoanalysis wouldn't have revealed. I'm so glad to keep getting more and more from this walk and I think this walk to Finisterra might truly be the most important part! I hope you're having true revelations in your lives beautiful people, revelations that might change your life forever!

5 comments:

  1. I share your experience in getting the most true revelations when you are not expecting anything at all! And a thought just popped into my head when you talked about your camera being broken that it was just the right thing to happen. That made it more easy for you to focus inwards instead of having your attention on the external things around you :O)
    So cool how life turns out sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really seems to be the eye opening part of your journey - and also the one where you are relaxing a bit more than on the Camino. Enjoy the hills and the valleys - they're just like life - up and down all the time :)
    Love and Light to you my wonderful warrior son :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just like in football...the goals often come in overtime ;). Not that I know much about football, or the Camino, but it sounds right :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is the end of the world as we know it... after I read your blog this song started sounding in my head. And I think I finally got it, its not about the world ending in such away it is about the world we know (the one we live in) ending. Because as you said in one of your blogs we are always changing and hence the world we know is ending. I hope you find what you want to dedicate yourself to and I know that once you have found that you will exceed. It is always a inspiration to read you thoughts and hear were the road takes you. I thought a great deal about you yesterday since it marked the 3 years since I first met you. I thought about how life has changed and how everything has but still somehow stayed the same. I wish you more discoveries and as much laughter that you can handle on your trip. Bæ í bili

    ReplyDelete