Tuesday, September 20, 2011

It's only a 101 km walk until the end of the world

Waking up at 8:30 this morning was a great feeling. It was such a strange feeling though; I wasn't about to rush off to walk 20 km's or more! For the first time in 28 days I wasn't going to spend the majority of the day traversing Spain on foot! I laughed a little and took a shower.

Finisterra is a place in the north of Spain where the world was believed to end in olden times. People would go there, stare out at the sea and believe that they were seeing the end of the world. Some pilgrims walk there too, it's only 101 km's away from Santiago. Others take the bus there. But I'm not taking the bus! No, it's only a 101 km walk until the end of the world and tomorrow I will head out there with my friends!

But today we'll enjoy Santiago and what it has to offer for us weary pilgrims. We said goodbye to Pia and Danielle this morning as they headed out to Finisterra but we headed out downtown to find a good café for breakfast. I finally got to meet Madeleine, Molly's sister and she was every bit as amazing as she had been described. We first went to the square where the Cathedral is and there we just met a bunch of people who were arriving in Santiago right there and then. First were the german boys we met in Molinaseca. Followed by Kasha. Then we saw Junior, my favorite Brazilian. It was a jam packed emotional moment.

After the café breakfast Molly went to get her certificate, Katrin checked on her bus for after she gets back from Finisterra and I perused the local gift shops. Then at 12:00 it was time for the pilgrim mass. Every day at 12:00 there is a mass dedicated to the pilgrims and at the end they use a huge incense burner and swing it from one end of the church to another. It's a really amazing sight! After the mass I saw the remains of Saint James (Jakob, postula Jesú) in his silver coffin beneath the altar in the Cathedral. We met loads of people there as well, like Isabel, Franzi, Alex and Matze. So it was a reunion as well.

I and Katrin then headed out for the Albergue. It was time to wash our clothes and do the blog entries that I "owed". I look forward to my trip to Finisterra tomorrow but right now my mind is focused on the evening here in Santiago with my friends. We'll enjoy the sights, the food and probably the company most of all.

Stay awesome beautiful people and I look forward to keep blogging as I write about the epilogue of my trip entitled: The end of the world! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear there is a day of relaxation as well. The mass sounds to have been amazing - like most of the things on your journey. Sending love and light to you as you travel to the end of the world - thought once that was Hellnar :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Njóttu dagsins/daganna núna. Þú ert svo sannarlega búinn að vinna fyrir því. Hlakka til að sjá þig þegar þú kemur svo heim loksins. :)

    ReplyDelete