Sunday, August 28, 2011

Eye of the Tiger

I was afraid that I was gonna be stuck in Estelle this morning! When I woke up my ankle was even worse than it was yesterday. A wonderful South-Korean girl gave me some anti-pain spray and I took some Ibufen. Even after that I couldn't imagine putting my foot down much less walking the 21 km to Los Arcos. The french guys and the New Zealander's were gonna head there today and it seemed that this would be the last time I would see them. I decided to try and walk, even though each step hurt like hell, and see how far I would get. I said goodbye to my family, not knowing if I would see them again.

I was at a gas station when they left. I stayed on for quite a while and had some coffee and enjoyed the nice toilet that was there. Since I was walking alone now, as not to slow down the group, I could concentrate on each step and make sure I wasn't stepping on uneven ground. Again I got to see just how lucky I am; just after I passed the Fountain of Wine I came to a crossroads. Both said that Los Arcos was 17,4 km away but I didn't know which to take. At that exact moment a local Spaniard passed by and he even spoke english. He told me which way most of the pilgrims take and I was on my way, so happy that I would have been skipping if it wasn't for my ankle.

A few steps later I found a nice bench to sit down and pray and meditate. It was a magical moment and afterwards I was focused and ready for the day. I started walking again, slowly at first and then I kept increasing my pace. I was walking faster and faster and the song Eye of the Tiger just started playing in my mind. I remembered everything I've ever heard about how to walk correctly and then I put that into action...I even think that my subconcious added what I didn't remember. Suddenly all the training I've done for this trip just kicked in and I could walk on my super speed and I wasn't even tired. About 8 km from Los Argos I even caught up with the french guys and the New Zealander's, they were sitting down by a huge mound of hay. It was great to see them, but I was in the zone! I told them that they would probably catch up with me even though I could feel that they wouldn't, and I kept going. From the point after I prayed and meditated, I didn't take a break or stop for 17 km!

I arrived in Los Argos at 13:00 after having walked 21 km during the day and I felt less pain in my ankle now than when I started walking. I must have been walking wrong in some way before and that must have caused my old injury to act up or something like that. The pain in my ankle really kept me present; kept me in the moment. If I stopped thinking about how I should walk, even for a second, it would hurt horrible again. But the pain had kept me in the moment and I was one of the first to arrive at the Albergue in Los Argos. When I got there I was so energetic that I could have kept on going for another 17 km. I decided to stop here in Los Argos because this is the french guys last night. I'm going to miss 'em!

This morning the pain was horrific and every step a disaster in itself. Sometimes you need to take a rest, like I did yesterday, and let your body recuperate. But sometimes, be it physical, mental, emotional or spiritual pain, you just have to push on. You have to keep going no matter what. You may need to use all your experience, all your energy, all your mental acuity but if you give it all you've got => you'll succeed no matter the odds. This was that kind of day!

I'm on track and I'm ready to walk 28 km a day just like I had planned. Life might throw me another lesson or hardship and I hope I'll deal with it the same way I have with the lessons so far. If you're dealing with hardship in any way, shape or form, I hope you too will find a way to power through despite the obsticals beautiful people! :*

8 comments:

  1. Terrific lessons! You're literally on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is awesome! you truely are an inspiration!
    did 2h of gym today :) nothing compared to your trek but still feeling awesome about it :)
    take care :*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you my friend that you were able to break through the "wall" and focus on you inner self and let the flow guide you onto the right path :O) Hold on to the inner place you found today the rest of your journey! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing lesson - and you tackled it in an outstanding way. I'm bursting with pride - and happy to hear you have found that part of your inner self that will get you through "everything". Love you as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How you are dealing with everything is truly an inspiration, think it´s wonderful that you have been given this experience and how you are using it to be more and more who you truly are!
    So proud of you you amazing person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to hear that you had the strength, will and good fortune to be able to carry on. This experience is clearly proving to be a good one. Sending you good thoughts from here, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...thank you beautiful people! Can't express how great it is to have your support. Your words bring such a smile to my face and give an otherwise exhausted body a jolt of new energy! :)

    ReplyDelete