Saturday, August 20, 2011

Last minute kind of guy

I can't believe I'm actually on my journey already. I can't believe I'm actually gonna do it: I'm gonna walk the 830 km from Saint-Jean-Pied-De-Port to Santiago de Compostela!!! :)

Getting ready for this trip has been quite the challenge, physically that is. At the start of this year I couldn't even have lasted a single day on this 4 to 6 week journey. If I walk 20 km a day it will take me 6 weeks to finish this journey but it I walk 28 km a day it will take me 4 weeks. My goal is 4 weeks but I have 6 so we'll see what pace I can keep up with. But like I say, a lot has changed physically since the beginning of the year and it's enough so that I can embark on this adventure!

But I'm a last minute kind of guy, all that really mattered to me was that I was in shape for the journey. I mean I bought the backpack for my journey the day before I left (2 days ago) and perhaps if I would have bought it sooner I would have realized that it dosn't have a "built in" raincover. I got my walking sticks 8 days ago and my new walking shoes 12 days ago. That and a lot of other new stuff was all bought around the time I was leaving. I think I've walked enough in my new walking shoes, gotten them ready and adjusted to my foot, but honestly I'm not sure. Let's just say; this was last minute! ;)

I guess the reason this was last minute is that I really wasn't sure I'd be in a place, physically, mentally or emotionally to go on this journey. When I decided in April, this year, to go on this adventure a lot had to change in order for me to be able to go, not just physically. So I said I'd go in the middle of August if I met certain requirements that frankly were a bit out of a reach at the time...or so I thought! But sure enough I met them and 11 days ago I bought a one way ticket to France. Now I'm sitting in Paris, gonna enjoy Paris until monday night and then I'm taking the night train to the south of France; Saint-Jean-Pied-De-Port! :)

So I bid you farewell good people and hope that you too will realize your adventures and make your dreams come true!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment